1. For sauce, in a small saucepan combine garlic or onion, catsup, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, cooking oil, vinegar, and hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat; set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine ground beef, salt, and pepper; mix well. Shape meat mixture into four patties.
3. To Cook by Indirect Grill Method: In a covered grill arrange preheated coals around a drip pan. Place paties on the grill rack over the drip pan. Cover and grill to desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling time and brushing frequently with sauce during the last few minutes of grilling.
4. To Cook by Direct Grill Method: Grill meat on the grill rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals to desired doneness, turning once halfway through grilling time and brushing frequently with sauce.
5. To serve, split and toast the buns on the grill. Serve patties in buns with cheese, lettuce, tomato, red onion, and pickle, if desired. Makes 4 servings.
Make-Ahead Tip: Prepare sauce; cover and chill up to 24 hours. Prepare and shape burgers. Cover with plastic wrap and chill up to 2 hours before grilling.
Click here to see more recipes from Wisconsin
Do you have a family favorite recipe you'd like to see posted here for all the world to see? Send it to me and I'll post it giving you full credit.